Friday 13 June 2008

Don't Forget to Pack...



When heading off on a trip I always stress about what to take and if I have packed everything I need. I look a the huge pile of gear on the table and worry about how I am going to get it all on the plane and if I have the right equipment for the job at hand. Working out what you will need comes with practice and researching your project correctly but remembering what to take and what you have packed is easy. I have made a bunch of lists for the gear needed for specific jobs. These lists are flexible for the job at hand but are a great starting point as to what gear I need to make sure goes in the bag for a specific job. I have one spreadsheet that has different titles, birds, mammals, macro, landscape etc. and each contains a different list of equipment that I most commonly use for the situation. This way I can be sure to remember what I need to pack. I even have on list for extended trips that details not only camera and computer equipment but goes right down to what trousers, tent and toilet paper to take.

I am off shooting critically endangered orchids today and here is the list that I used to pack the Dryzone. I am using the Dryzone today instead of my favourite medium sized pack the Vertex 200 as the approach to the site necessitates an hour long walk wading down a river. Wish it didn't rain so much last night!

Macro load-out list
D3
14-24
24-70
200mm micro
sb-800 x2
flash diffuser
SU-800
SC-29
30cm Reflector
120cm Diffuser
Backgrounds
Nikon 5t
Nikon 6t
cable release
3540 tripod
SD-8a battery pack
spare batteries camera
spare batteries AA
head torch
plamp x2
Compactflash cards
Wimberley Macro Flash arm
Umbrella

No comments: